Saturday, February 4, 2012

Curtain Cuteness

Ok, I'm ready to reveal the curtains! I juooshed (spelling?) and fluffed until they were ready for my picture standards.
First let me remind you of what I had before. I was doin' the red black and white thing. I've had those colors for a few years now in my bedroom, and thought they would be romantic or something when we got married, but every time I walked in our room, I thought it was dark and dreary. (Not romantic) So that's when I decided on the teal/aqua color scheme for our bedroom. A little more fun and playful.
Here are some before pics of the room.  Red curtains and black striped shears that were always closed. Just opened here for picture purposes so it was even darker than this.





We only have two windows in there so it was pretty dark.

I wanted to move the bed in a different position as well, to give the room a completely different look.

I moved the bed in front of the window, so yes, some light is being blocked, but with the brighter colors, it seems even more lively and bright. 

I digress. Back to the curtains. I first saw this idea from the idea generating capital of the Universe. Pintrest. A women had used painters drop clothes as curtains. She added a stencil to add some interest and color. I thought, how cheap!!! I like cheap! So off to Home Depot I went, and found the size drop clothes that I needed.

I measured and cut the drop cloth down the middle, which was actually really easy because it had a seam in the middle anyways, so I used that for a guide, and a straight cut. 


I had a helper, who was quite fascinated by this tent he thought was his. He almost got poked by the scissors when I was cutting! He was under the drop cloth the whole time and I didn't know it until his little face popped out. 

Oh hey. Looked something like this.

My mom told me about these quadrefoil sheers at KMart. (They have great finds!) I picked up 4 panels in this greyish blue color.

I used curtain clips to easily hang both the sheers and the drop cloths. This was so easy and I didn't have to worry about sewing rod pockets.

 I just pleated them together until I got a good look and fullness to them.

And here they are completed. They look a little darker here, but in the space they actually make it seem a lot brighter and more vibrant.

I sewed two of the sheer panels together at the ends to make the panel length longer.

Puddling curtains all the way baby! I know this look isn't for everyone, but I happen to really like it.



Morning light




Here is the window in that I put our bed in front of. 

 Yay for teal pillows!!!

Take your curtain rod and curtains to the ceiling, it will draw the eye up and make the ceiling look taller.  I feel like since we've done it, it makes the room feel so much bigger! 






 So there ya go! I may eventually stencil a cool design on them in white or blue, but for now, with the sheers and the headboard, I feel like there is enough pattern going on, and I like the drop cloths for the texture and color they bring to room as is.  These are defiantly something I will take with us to the next place we live and can easily change up if I want.  And again, they do look a little different in person, it was hard to grab the exact color and texture in pictures, but you get the idea. 

I can't wait to show you my dressers that are finished now too! 


What are you're thoughts on curtains? Do you like them to puddle on the floor, or hang off the floor? Do you like to take them all the way to the ceiling? Do you like a lot of pattern, and color, or do you prefer simple and sophisticated? Tell me your thoughts!




1 comment:

  1. Heather, you are amazing. If I saw those 2 bedside tables, I would have never even given them a second thought. You did a great job. The curtains are really neat. Again, a drop cloth would never been a thought for curtains. I do like them puddling on the floor. I love following your decorating skills.

    ReplyDelete