Monday, February 13, 2012

Painting for beginners

Hey! Hope you all had a great weekend! Mine was very busy. But I managed to sneak in a few projects! So not too long ago, I showed you my paint chip artwork.  When I picked up that canvas at Micheals, they were having a 50% off canvas sale, so I bought a third canvas.  I was originally thinking of doing more paint chip artwork on that third canvas, but when I thought about it, I thought it would be too geometric. I'm trying to force myself outside of my "design comfort zone".  That meant, I needed to do something different.  Ergo, I painted the canvas. Yep, you read it.  I, painted.  Even though I'm the daughter of a former art teacher and sister to an amazing artist, I can barely draw stick figures let alone paint. But after some tips from a pro, I attempted a painting.  Probably the easiest paint job ever, but still I was nervous. You be the judge.

I bought acrylic paint at Walmart in 3 different teals/blues

I mixed a little bit of water in with the paint to give it more of a washed look
(Notice the paper plate??) 

Started with the darkest blue first

Then added more of an aqua color next


You can't tell here, but I added a light blue color to the bottom.

Here it is, up on the wall with the geometric artwork.

Think it's a softer element that adds some depth and texture.

I'm happy with it. Being that I'm no painter!

Oh and this little cutie was a free printable I found from Pintrest. I will try and find the link, but I just got it printed out and framed it. Thought it was presh.

So, have any of you been doing some fun design projects lately? If so, fill me in!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Heather, You can now add painting to your many talents. Looks really good. It looks like you had coffee in bed on Valentine's Day. He is a keeper.
    Love, Gam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if I'm ready add painting just quite yet, but I know for sure that my hubby is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete