Friday, January 24, 2014

Wrapping Paper Wallpaper

Being an Military family means we have moved a lot since we've been married. We are in our 3rd house in less than 3 years. I am always trying to come up with new ways to decorate the way I would love to if we were in a house we owned.  I adore wallpaper. I think it adds such a punch to a room in a way that artwork and paint simple cannot. Although wallpaper is great, it can be a big job, and a huge commitment.  A simple temporary solution I've found is to use wrapping paper!  It's cheap, easy and removable!  It's a great solution for renters, or even a home owner that is scared of the commitment of wallpaper. 
I used wrapping paper in our first apartment to spruce up our drab kitchen. Read about it here!

I knew that I had wanted to do this in our current home but was waiting for just the right wrapping paper to jump out at me! TJMaxx is one of the best sources for fun and unique wrapping paper. That's were I found this great print for only $2.99 a roll! 


I knew right away where I wanted to use it. In my weird little alcove between the kitchen, dining room and living room.  The color was perfect and I liked that the wood texture wasn't too bold of a print since I've got a lot going on in my living room. 




I started at the top and made sure everything was lined up so that the paper would not wander from the corner. I used small staples from a regular old stapler to attach the paper to the walls. 

(I have used double stick tape and painters tape in the past, but my walls are textured so tape was not holding the paper to the walls) 

I used a roll and a half of wrapping paper to complete this space. 



I used an x-acto knife to trim edges and corners.


I carefully trimmed around the light switch with an x-acto knife as well. 



It was difficult to get a completed shot since it's a 3 sided wall, but I think it adds something special to an otherwise drab and boring spot. 

When we move it's as easy as ripping the paper down and removing the staples. 

Never be afraid to think outside the box!




No comments:

Post a Comment