Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sea Fan Fancies!

Hello darlings! Sorry for neglecting the blog all last week.  I was out of town and didn't get the chance to sit down and get my blogging on.  And, my old MacBook is on the fritz. The battery is now completely zonked. Which means I am now forced to be tethered to a wall.  I have dreams of grandeur, of becoming the proud owner of a huge Mac Desktop someday.  Anywho, remember the sea fans I bought at Black Dog Salvage? Well before my trip last week, I finished the project I had in mind for those bad boys.

Here are the sea fans in their O'natural state. They had a purplish tint to them.
 
First, I painted the "shadow boxes" I bought for this project.  They are actually T-Shirt display boxes that we, bought from Micheal's craft store. I had two coupons so I drug my hubby along to make two separate purchases because at Micheal's, they have a policy of only one coupon per customer.  I needed two.  The frames were originally around $10.00 each and they were on sale, plus the coupons we used brought them down to $4 a piece. Steal!!!! 
I forgot to take a before picture, but the frames are plastic and they were black. 
I used Krylon Brushed metallic satin Nickle on them and gave them about 3 coats each.

Then came the sea fans. I choose Krlon metallic in Brilliant Gold.

They required about 5 coats to really get the gold look I wanted. 

 Here is the finished frame.

And the finished sea fans

To get the sea fans to attach to the back of the frame, I spray painted two push pins gold and attached them to the back of the frame. 

 I also got this green paper at Micheal's for $0.59 a piece! Cheap!!!!

 And here is the finished product!!!

I put them right by the front door.  It was an empty space that needed something! 

 This cat loves to sleep here!

 (I ended up moving the push pin down to the base of the fan, so it wouldn't be so noticeable)

I love the way the gold and green look together, but I already have plans of switching up the colors to maybe white sea fans and light blue paper. Or even a cool ikat fabric behind them!  

So altogether, this project cost $10.59 per frame.  Not too shabby eh? And I love the fact that I can change it out with each place we live.

Speaking of each place we live... my hubby and I will be moving soon back to Lancaster PA! We are very excited to be closer to friends and family, and I personally can't wait to get into our new place and start decorating!!!! So if the blog posts in the next few weeks start to slow down (even more so than they have been) it's because we are trying to orchestrate a big move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment