Saturday, April 14, 2012

Chevron Lamp {Cupcakes and Cashmere}

Hello all! I hope you are all enjoying the weekend so far! I wanted to share with you another GoingOutChic collaboration for the Cupcakes and Cashmere themed tutorials I did.  I showed you the Cupcakes, Cashmere and Cutlery tutorial about a month ago.  Check out my Chevron lamp tutorial!

I wanted  a cute, soft yet fun lamp that reflected my style and would add a nice "pop" to a space. Chevron is so popular right now, but I wanted to give the sharp geometric lines a softer side.

Here are the materials I used for this project:
-Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in Ballet Slipper
-Frog Tape
-Tape measure
-Xacto Knife
-Stenciling brush/sponge


I used a drum shade from Target (size medium)

I found this great base from Target as well (size medium)

First step was to tape a strip the whole way around the shade to use as a guide for where I wanted my chevron points to be. This kept everything nice and even.  I measure my line about 2.5" from the base.  I measured this strip the whole way around to make sure everything was lined up equally. 

I then started to tape my chevron stripes. I overlapped the pieces of tape, and gently cut the excess with an Xacto knife.  I used that strip from the first step to make sure everything was even.

Whew! This took me awhile...a lot of taping and re-taping, but I finally got everything lined up and looking sharp.

Then I started painting.  I decided to use the spray paint with a stenciling brush. I thought the watery wet spray paint, used with the stenciling brush would give the chevron stripes a softer look. 
I sprayed the paint onto the plate, then dabbed the stencil brush lightly into the paint. I then dabbed the brush in between the lines, making sure to keep the paint light around the tape lines so it wouldn't bleed too much.

Here it is completed. I let it dry about 80% of the way before I pulled the tape off. The paint did dry very quickly on the fabric shade.

This part was exciting yet nerve wracking!  I got to see how the lines turned out!

Here it is completed!

The lines are a bit rough, and not perfect, which is what I wanted to give it a softer look.




What do you think?  Are you planning on tackling any projects like this? If so and you have questions, please let me know if I can help! 

Have an AMAZING weekend!

2 comments: